Difference between diamond and brilliant: do you know how to tell them apart?
There are many doubts about the differences between a diamond and a brilliant because you have surely heard of both, but you do not understand or know how to differentiate them, which one is better or even what they are.
Today we bring you a small class to let you know all the secrets of these terms.
What is diamond
A diamond is a natural mineral composed of crystallized carbon and one of the most valued gemstones in the jewelry world.
This precious stone comes from the depths of the earth, they are hard to find and almost impossible to break! In addition, diamonds are characterized by their hexagonal crystalline structure and high brilliance.
The purest diamond, without any variation or imperfection, is colorless and totally transparent, and they are the most expensive. However, there are diamonds with pink, red and yellowish shades.
What is shiny
And here we will tell you something that will surprise you.... the shiny refers to a one-size-fits-all type!
When we find a rough diamond we must cut it and for this purpose a type of cut is applied, the most used is the round cut which is known as "brilliant cut". Therefore, when we refer to brilliant it means a type of cut and never the material used.
What is zirconia
Zirconite is characterized by its resemblance to diamond, but its main difference is based on its origin. As we have already mentioned, diamond is a precious stone with natural origin, while zirconite has its origin in zirconium oxide.
Zirconia today is synthetic and manufactured in laboratories for the jewelry industry.
The main advantage of zirconia is that its price is much lower than that of diamonds, and they are stones of great quality and a great resemblance to diamonds.
Difference between diamond and brilliant
The truth is that the difference between a diamond and a brilliant is quite simple, and you'll think you've been fooled all your life about what they are!
As we have already said above the diamond is nothing more than the rough stone, on the contrary, the brilliant is not another type of stone, but it is the size of the stone of the diamond. In short, not all diamonds are diamonds - don't be fooled, it's all about the cut and the material.
To obtain a diamond, it is necessary that it be cut in 58 facets or 57 if we do not count the butt. The most common cut for a brilliant is the brilliant cut or also, more commonly known as the round cut. Although, the correct way to refer to this is: brilliant cut diamond.
Once you are clear that the brilliant is a cut or size and not a material, you need to know that there are many more stones and gems that can be worked in brilliant cut. It is here, where many people are deceived and therefore, it is important that you remember 2 characteristics to avoid this:
- The type of cut or denomination, for example, the diamond cut will be with 58 or 57 facets as we have clarified above.
- The name of the material, in our case the one we are talking about, diamond.
At this point, remember the brilliant size is recognized because its size is round, this is done in order to achieve the best refraction of light.
This is the most common and most appreciated shape for cutting a diamond, which resembles a cone, as you have seen in the image above. This shape provides exceptional brilliance allowing maximum light return on the top of the diamond reflecting unique sparkles. However, you should know that there are many other ways to cut a diamond as you can see in this image:
How to differentiate diamonds from zirconia
- Cubic zirconia, being a synthesised material, is hard, but not as hard as diamond; it can come in an infinite variety of colours and, of course, costs much less than diamond.
- Both are perfectly suitable for use in jewelry because of their similar external appearance, but they have nothing to do with each other in their physical composition and properties.
- Hard as a diamond: you've probably heard this expression more than once, and at Lavani we're absolutely right. Diamond is one of the hardest materials in existence, so even if we look at it with a magnifying glass, we will not find any damage. However, although zirconia has many other properties, this is not one of them. Conclusion: if the jewel is scratched, it is not a diamond but a zirconia.
- The balance will decide: surely, in our case, the balance will be our hands, but they are also useful. We can hold each stone in one hand and see which one weighs more; that one will be the zirconia. However, the one with the least weight will be the diamond.
- The black dot test: for this exercise, we will have to take a piece of paper and draw a black dot. Now, we will place the stone on top and see if the black dot can be seen. If it is perfectly visible, it is a zirconia, but if we have difficulties to see the drawing or if it is distorted, we have a diamond in front of us. This is due to the opacity of the diamond, which is much larger than that of zirconite.
- Shine like a star: if you can, place the gemstone in a glass of water and now see if it continues to shine or is camouflaged by the water. If you can barely make it out, we will have a zirconia. If you can see it perfectly, it's a diamond.
Discover some of our most sparkling jewelry with zirconia!
Now, not only do you know what brilliant, zirconia and diamond are, but you also know the difference between the terms and would know how to tell them apart if necessary.
Tell your family, friends and acquaintances everything you have learned. We talk about many other jewelry materials in LAVANI Jewels, so don't forget to check out the rest of The Lavazine 's publications if you want to get into the world of jewelry.